14 Reasons why Silicon Valley embraced Climate Alarmism was published in WUWT on February 15, 2017.
- Silicon Valley consists from a large number of individuals with very similar professional backgrounds and a small pool of knowledge. Communication in such groups tends to reinforce their preconceived notions. Another place with this social phenomenon is Hollywood.
- The psychological types dominating these places might be totally opposite – egocentric actors and actresses in Hollywood vs introverted computer professionals in Silicon Valley (sorry for the stereotypes) – but their effect might be the same: discounting the opinions of outsiders even on subjects in which those outsiders have interest, knowledge, and experience.
- Politically privileged (in comparison with the manufacturing, energy, and other basic industries) political status of the software industry, also similar to that of Hollywood.
- Recent influx of “content creators” with hard left views.
- Immigration. There is nothing wrong with the immigrant talent, which constitutes the overwhelming majority of the engineering workforce in Silicon Valley. These immigrants are skilled, honest, and loyal. But, being immigrants, they are unable to resist the manipulation and attacks from the hard Left. This situation enabled a small cadre of Leftist agitators to create impression that their views are representative of the technical professionals.
- Crony capitalism: a) Al Gore’s role in some of the leading SV venture capital firms; and b) policy of pressure and rewards from Obama administration and the associated leftist groups.
Updated since 02/15/2017.