Chris Steele, Fusion GPS, Rep. Adam Schiff and other HPSCI Democrats secretly worked with Chris Wylie to create a fake story, purporting a connection between President Trump and Russia, using Cambridge Analytica. They injected this story into the US intelligence community in the spring and summer of this year.
A book Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America by Christopher Wylie was released on October 8, 2019. When The Guardian, The New York Times, and few other Fake News outlets manufactured the Cambridge Analytica pseudo-scandal in March 2018, Mr. Wylie was presented as the whistleblower. Congressional Democrats rode that pseudo scandal hard and forced Facebook to crack down on conservative dissenters.
However, in his book, Chris Wylie revealed much more of the story. He had secretly worked with Chris Steele and Fusion GPS on a fake dossier, purporting to create the impression that Cambridge Analytica was the missing link between Trump and Russia. In June 2018, Rep. Adam Schiff and other Democrats on the House Select Permanent Committee on Intelligence held briefing(s) with Chris Wylie in SCIF. They also promised to inject this Wylie – Steele dossier into the US intelligence community, and likely fulfilled this promise.
“We have arrived at our destination: the Sensitive Compartmentalized Information Facility (SCIF) of the United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence—the same room where classified congressional briefings are held.
Once we’ve taken our seats, the members of Congress begin filing in. Aides place tabulated binders on the table in front of each committee member—the Democrats’ ranking member, California congressman Adam Schiff, sits directly across from me, and to his left sits Congresswoman Terri Sewell, with Eric Swalwell and Joaquin Castro clustered together at the far end. I’m flanked by my lawyers and my friend Shahmir Sanni, a fellow whistleblower. We give the Republicans a few minutes to show up. They never do. It’s June 2018, and I’m in Washington to testify to the U.S. Congress about Cambridge Analytica, a military contractor and psychological warfare firm where I used to work, and a complex web involving Facebook, Russia, WikiLeaks, the Trump campaign, and the Brexit referendum.” (pp. 4-5)
The current (October 2019) impeachment / seditious conspiracy hearings are conducted in SCIF, too, and Republicans are kept outside. I guess that the Republicans were not told of or were misled about those 2018 meetings with Wylie. This is why they have not shown up.
Note that Wylie’s story is not truthful. There was no “complex web involving Facebook, Russia, WikiLeaks, the Trump campaign, and the Brexit referendum.” Cambridge Analytica was owned by an American billionaire Robert Mercer. Its parent SCL Group was a military contractor for Great Britain, apparently conducting informational operations against Russian interference in Europe.
“ON THE EVENING OF March 20, three days after the Cambridge Analytica story broke, I went to the Frontline Club, in London, with Allen and Sanni for my first public appearance. … what transpired [in the UK not necessarily on that date – LG] next led me to information so sensitive that my meetings with the House Intelligence Committee that day in June 2018 had to be conducted in the SCIF, underneath the United States Capitol. In the two months before that secret hearing, I met the man in several random locations scattered across London, and it became clear that he had access to files belonging to Leave.EU co-founder Arron Banks… The documents constituted a record of extensive communications between Leave.EU, a major alt-right pro-Brexit campaign, and the Russian embassy in London during the Brexit campaign. [Or somebody made him believe a forgery – LG] … In April, Allen met with an NCA [British National Crime Agency – LG] officer in one of their unmarked offices inside a major London train station … The NCA notified the British embassy in Kiev about the situation. … we saw [fake] evidence that the Russians were speaking with Cambridge Analytica clients immediately before and after the clients met with the Trump campaign. We eventually had a meeting with California congressman Adam Schiff, then the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, in Nancy Pelosi’s office in the Capitol. Allen and I told Congressman Schiff about the existence of these documents. I agreed to return to D.C. with the documents, which were kept secure in Carmichael’s safe at Parliament [Carmichael was a whip of the Liberal Democrats party – LG]. Soon after this D.C. meeting, I was contacted by Fusion GPS, the private intelligence firm that had put together the Trump-Russia dossier authored by Christopher Steele. [sic!] Steele’s firm had learned about the documents and recordings I had through a British source, and Fusion GPS told us they had documents and information of their own that illuminated the same set of connections—between the Russians, Brexit, and Trump’s campaign. [Not true! Either Steele had produced forgeries that convinced Wylie in April 2018 and which he passed to Schiff et al, or he received the information from Fusion GPS, who received them from Schiff or Pelosi – LG] We all agreed to meet in the office of DCMS committee chair Damian Collins. Like a jigsaw, Collins, Fusion GPS, and I had each acquired different sets of documents about the same events, and we began piecing everything together. Allen approached the NCA again, but they declined to take action, so we instead handed everything over to the U.S. House Intelligence Committee, which agreed to pass it on to the appropriate American intelligence channels.” (pp. 215-216)
Fusion GPS and Chris Steele were involved. Nancy Pelosi was involved. British embassy in Kiev, Ukraine, was involved. The parts of the story involving Russia had been probably invented for him by somebody in Britain, possibly Chris Steele or his associates from Orbis. Thus, it is likely that in April-June of 2018, another set of forgeries alleging Trump – Russia conspiracy was transferred to US intelligence, possibly from multiple directions.
“And thank you to everyone else who helped uncover and tell this story. In particular, I would like to thank … Representative Adam Schiff and the staff of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee (for all the unseen work you do); Glenn Simpson and Fusion GPS (for your brilliant investigative work);” (p. 268)
No comments are needed here.
“Schiff leads the questioning…
Did you work with Steve Bannon? Yes.
Did Cambridge Analytica have any contacts with potential Russian agents? Yes.
Do you believe that this data was used to sway the American electorate to elect the president of the United States? Yes.
An hour goes by, then two, then three.” (pp. 5-6)
Note the leading questions and the long time that the interview took.
- In June 2018, Chris Wylie participated in secret briefing(s) with Adam Schiff and other Democrats of the House Intelligence Committee. The briefings were held in SCIF without any Republicans present.
- In these briefings Wylie used information and documents he had received from a third party in suspicious circumstances. In other words, it is very likely that those documents were forgeries. The fake information probably included non-existent connections between the Trump campaign and Russia.
- After these briefings, Wylie discussed their content with notorious Chris Steele, the putative author of the “Steele dossier”, and Fusion GPS, the DNC contractor that hired Steele and his firm. It is not clear whether they discussed that information before, during, or after the briefings.
- Fusion GPS and Steele added their own information, supportive and complementary to that of Wylie’s. Together, they created another fake dossier and gave it to the House Intelligence Committee Democrats. The Democrats promised to pass it to the US intelligence channels, and probably did that.
- Chris Wylie is a Canadian citizen and British resident. He is neither an American citizen nor an American resident. Nevertheless, he took part in the Obama 2008 campaign as a data analyst or a similar position. When he moved to Britain, he worked for the Liberal Democrats, a left anti-Brexit / anti-Trump party. A British MP from that party stored the “documents” for Wylie.
- Chris Wylie publicly testified before the House and Senate about the so-called Cambridge Analytica scandal in April-May 2018. That testimony was a nothingburger. There are no traces of the interactions between Chris Wylie and Congress on Congressional websites after May 2018.
- This allows for the conclusion that the original set of the documents, received by Wylie in London in late March – early April 2018, had originated from Steele and/or Fusion GPS. Most likely, Fusion GPS & Chris Steele used Chris Wylie to create and to disseminate what might be called “a Wylie-Steele dossier.” Part of it was released through The Guardian, the NYT, and other media in March 2018 to support the Russia hoax. Part of it has been injected into the US intelligence community.
Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix was extensively interviewed by HPSCI for its Russia investigation report on December 14, 2017. After the Cambridge Analytics “news” broke (in quotes, because the personal data acquisition by Cambridge Analytica was first mentioned in the press around 2015), and Chris Wylie came out as a whistleblower, Congressional Democrats invited Wylie to Washington:
Schiff Invites Cambridge Analytica Whistleblower to Provide Testimony Before Intelligence Committee. Washington, March 19, 2018
Wylie quit Cambridge Analytics in the late 2014, long before Trump announced his intent to run 2016 elections campaign. When Wylie testified before the Congress in late April – mid May 2018, he already possessed and probably believed the third party “information.”
Judiciary and Oversight Committee Democrats Release Key Takeaways from Interview with Cambridge Analytica Whistleblower. Apr 25, 2018. Press Release
WRITTEN STATEMENT TO THE UNITED STATES SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY IN THE MATTER OF CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA AND OTHER RELATED ISSUES by Christopher Wylie. May 16, 2018
This Statement includes hearsay, without mentioning that it was hearsay. It also includes direct lies, not caused by a mistake or reliance on third-party information. That was the last time Wylie interacted with Congress, according to Congressional websites.
- Sir Nick Clegg, Leader of the British Liberal Democrats party in 2007-2015, and Deputy Prime Minister in 2010-2015, was appointed Facebook’s VP of Global Affairs and Communications (i.e., the chief political officer), in October 2018, just a few weeks before the midterm elections. Nick Clegg is very hostile to President Trump. Also notice Wylie’s involvement with the Lib Dems party in the UK, and the Lib Dems’ participation in the 2018 Wylie – Steele activities.
- Cambridge Analytica was a data/analytics company, majority-owned by the Republican donor Robert Mercer, but with main offices in London, UK. Donald Trump used its services in the 2015-2016 primaries, although not in the elections. In 2014, Cambridge Analytica acquired information from 87 million Facebook profiles, without the consent of those users. That was a standard procedure for Facebook, hence, hundreds of firms availed themselves of Facebook users’ private data. The New York Times and The Guardian elected to focus their attention on Cambridge Analytica, and not all the other companies who did the same thing. The data acquisition was handled by Chris Wylie, who became the whistleblower, and Aleksandr Kogan, who became the scapegoat. See also the NRO coverage. From Kogan’s testimony in Senate:
“I was introduced to SCL through a Ph.D. student at the University in winter of 2014. He introduced me to Chris Wylie, who represented SCL at the time. Our conversations began with Mr. Wylie detailing his experiences working for the Obama campaign. He asked me to provide survey-consulting services to SCL, including collecting data from Facebook and generating personality profiles.”
- Glenn Simpson, other Fusion GPS operatives, Chris Steele, his Orbis associates and their accomplices remain at large. There is no reason to think that they haven’t created more forgeries and passed them to the intelligence community and/or Congress, intending to implicate the President or his supporters. There is no reason to think that Congressional Democrats haven’t solicited or aided in the creation of such forgeries by the same or other actors. There is no reason to think that the “intelligence community” hasn’t received more forgeries and fabrications against Trump from other actors.
- Guardian reporter Carole Cadwalladr was investigating and/or manufacturing Cambridge Analytica story since February 2017. The Cambridge Analytica story was a non-event, inflated into a major scandal by the Fake News Media:
“Cambridge Analytica’s main method of influence was to send people targeted ads on Facebook, just as thousands of other companies do every day. … Why is this no big deal? Because everybody does it – not just vendors trying to sell us their wares, but all of the political campaigns. Facebook even brags to its potential political advertisers about its power to ‘drive a successful campaign’ and target ‘constituents and supporters.’ During the 2016 campaign, Hillary Clinton had far more powerful digital tools at her disposal than Trump did.”
“The operation’s nerve center is a Washington-based nonprofit called The Democracy Integrity Project, or TDIP. Among other activities, it pumps out daily “research” briefings to prominent Washington journalists, as well as congressional staffers, to keep the Russia “collusion” narrative alive. TDIP is led by Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI investigator, Clinton administration volunteer and top staffer to California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein. It employs the key opposition-research figures behind the salacious and unverified dossier: Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson and ex-British intelligence officer Christopher Steele. Its financial backers include the actor/director Rob Reiner and billionaire activist George Soros.”
“Even as it pushes the collusion theories, TDIP partnered with a cybersecurity firm, New Knowledge” – SSCI used a report made by the New Knowledge
“New Knowledge operatives created thousands of fake Russian Twitter accounts programmed to follow GOP candidate Roy Moore to make it appear he was backed by Moscow. The scheme worked: a number of media stories reported Moore was being supported by Russians. Only, it was a high-tech frame-up.”
- No direct links to Eric Ciaramella were found.
- Facebook, Twitter, Google, and other Internet platforms (including some that are not big but focus on hiring people and creating events in the US) allow foreign adversaries almost unlimited freedom of action in the US, from elections interference and informational warfare to physical actions. Even non-state actors, including foreign terrorist organization, can utilize them to cause enormous damage. But there is a confluence of interest among Big Tech, the Democratic party, and its foreign counterparts not only to ignore this threat, but to use it to perpetuate the Russia hoax, and to increase their own power. This theory is supported by the public activities of the Mueller team, Senate Select Intelligence Committee, and most other DC institutions.
This Table of Contents provides links for convenient referencing specific sections of this article.